Re: Standardization, large scale changes, innovations

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> >    How can we change our processes so that doing/organizing such changes
> >    is less of a burden?
>
> They are not.

I can't accept the premise that we can't do better at this level.

I managed to get my own project through the end (it's deployed, people can
use the new source formats) but other worthwhile projects have not (or not
yet) and I believe we should enhance our processes so that we can more
effectively work _together_ on common goals (think of ddebs for example).

Such projects are very difficult to do as one-man show in particular when
you have no idea whether your work is going to used/deployed or not.

> I think the debhelper way is the best way to achieve standards within
> Debian: rather than trying to convince people through arguments, we
> convince people through technology.

I try to convince through technology, I advertise the result through
arguments. And I keep improving the formats based on the feedback that I
explicitly request.

> > 5/ I have the feeling that Debian is innovating less than it used to do.
> >    We are more often followers rather than leaders.
> >
> >    Do you share that feeling?
>
> Yes, to some extent. But I'm not convinced that trying to standardize on
> anything will change that -- on the contrary.
>
> >    What shall we do to make that change?
>
> To encourage innovation, people must have the freedom to experiment.
> Innovation is impossible if too many standards are imposed on people.

Please don't relate that question to the standardization question, it was
not meant to. You answer is rather limited, I hope you can elaborate.

We all have the freedom to experiment, we have all the sources, so why
aren't we any longer innovating?

And innovations only counts if it reaches a released product, otherwise
it's only research. How can we go from successful experimentation to
real innovations in our releases?

Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/
My Debian goals: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/09/debian-related-goals-for-2010/