Re: Draft GR: Simplification of license and copyright requirements for the Debian packages.

Le Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 02:08:29PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG a écrit :
> On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 00:35 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > 3) Is there a benefit of allowing non-free files to be distributed together
> > with the source of the Debian system ?
>
> Have you considered the harm?  It means that users can no longer assume
> that whatever is in the source packages can be distributed by them under
> the DFSG.  Especially since your proposal is all about making copyright
> information harder to locate, you are making things far harder.

Hello Thomas,

Indeed, there are pros and cons for my proposal. I have mentionned in my first
message that with our current practice, our users know that – human errors
excepted – everything they get along with the sources of the Debian system is
DFSG-free.

http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/20100124144741.GD13468@kunpuu.plessy.org

However, even when all the files are DFSG-free, one can not blindly
redistribute or modify them, because we distribute works with an advertising
clause, or works that require to rename the programs in case of modification.
Therefore, one has anyway to check the licensing details for any DFGS-free file
redistributed.

About the visibility of the non-DFSG-free files: I wrote my proposal to be
broad, not as a patch to the Policy. If the GR is voted and accepted, nothing
prevents the Policy to require that non-DFSG-free files are marked as such in
debian/copyright.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy