Re: Bits from the release team and request for discussion

On Tue, Aug 11 2009, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

> Anthony Towns dijo [Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 01:07:33PM +1000]:
>> So, with August almost half-way over, I guess the release team's not
>> going to be doing much more to seek input from non-key teams/developers.
>>
>> I still think it'd be interesting and useful to get broader input,
>> though. Something like a choice amongst the following questions by GR
>> might work:
>> (…)
>
> I basically oppose such a GR, as it is is merely speculative (who
> knows _now_ or at the GR voting time when we will be close to
> achieving our release goals?), and because it is a ruling on a
> technical subject (at least according to some metrics). But if the
> vote were to be held at all, I would add:
>
>   6. The Debian project recognizes the responsible team to take any
>      decisions regarding the freeze date and reach to be the Release
>      Team, and accepts their best judgement in this regard.

        Perhaps you should look at this less confrontationally. The vote
 is a non-binding recommendation, it is an information gathering vote
 where people provide feedback to the release team; by voting for the
 option that best suits their development plans.

        Based on the outcome, the release team can come to an *informed*
 decision. By objecting to the vote, you might be making the tasks of
 the release team harder, by denying them information from the project
 at large.

        manoj
--
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno])) /* you don't see this */ Larry Wall
in eval.c from the perl source code