Re: GR proposal: Do not require listing of copyright holders

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 03:08:26PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 09:38:04PM +0000, Mark Hymers wrote:
> > I've therefore asked the DPL to get us legal advice on the minimum
> > copyright information we should ship in debian/copyright.  Once we get
> > this, I propose we amend policy to be crystal clear about what we need
> > (basically, what we can get away with[0]) and then all carry on.
>
> I think this needs to be a two-part question to the lawyer: what does
> copyright law require, and what does the GPLv3 require.  I believe they are
> not the same.

And then, of course, there are the other dozens of licenses.  Some of
them (such as the BSD license in /usr/share/common-licenses/BSD) very
clearly require us to list copyright holders somewhere in the binary
packages.  Some don't have this requirement in the license.  Some are
less clear.

stew