Re: Constitutional issues in the wake of Lenny

Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> writes:

> 4. Option X is declared not to be in conflict with a foundation document (?)
> 5. Option X conflicts with a foundation document, but explicitly doesn't
>    want to override the FD (?)

This is not a meaningful statement about a GR currently.  In order for
this to be a meaningful statement, we would have to amend the constitution
to create a person who is responsible for determining that such a conflict
exists.  Right now, there is no person who can make the above judgement,
so making it a distinct case isn't particularly useful.

> 6. Option X would appear that it might contradict an FD, but doesn't say
>    which of 2-5 it is.

> My point of view would be that 3 requires 3:1, 4 does not and that votes
> of type 5 or 6 should not be allowed to run until they are clarified.

I agree with all of those statements except for 5, which I don't believe
exists.  5 is actually identical to 4 in our current system.

If, down the road, we create an officer responsible for ruling on
conflicts around Foundation Documents, then 5 could exist if the statement
in the GR was in conflict with their ruling.