Re: Question for DPL Candidates: sponsorship of Debian development by companies?

Hey Lucas,

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:42:11PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

>This raises the question of bounties sponsored by companies to do Debian
>development. Of course, the DPL can't prevent companies from offering
>money to do Debian work. However, as a DPL (or 2IC), will you actively
>seek such sponsorship, or help companies propose such sponsorship? Under
>which policies (e.g restriction on who can apply)?

No, not at all: I think it would not be appropriate. If DDs
individually want to seek out sponsorship for their work, then that's
fine. But the project as a whole does not work that way.

>Zack wrote that no one already contributing to Debian should be
>authorized to pick bounties offered by Debian directly. Would you
>encourage a similar position for bounties offered as part of the Google
>Summer of Code, for example?

No. Who is picked in the end should depend on the terms of the scheme
involved and on the quality of the particular projects. In the
specific example of the GSoC, I'm much more interested in the
likelihood of the student project to succeed than in who the student
is.

There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, A state of bliss