Re: DPL Debates [Re: Debian Project Leader Election 2009]

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote: [...]
> I'd like to raise the question of whether these IRC debates are really
> something we should have.  I know Don and the panelists put a lot of time
> and effort into making the debates happen, which is part of why I ask the
> question:  is it really worth all this effort?  What do we get out of a
> three-hour real-time IRC debate that we don't already get from the
> candidates' platforms and three weeks of discussion on debian-vote?

I think the main thing I get is to see whether anyone is a hothead
like I was or whether their first instincts are to ramble or spout
buzzwords, as well as how well some of the candidates respond within
fairly tight deadlines.  Possibly interesting leadership skills.

Even so, I feel we could shorten it quite a bit without significant
loss and I think I've written as much before.  (Put your own joke
about debian being an endurance sport sometimes here.)

The more structured (and time-consuming) Q+A part could happen by
email beforehand, leaving just the moderated debate (questions from
audience) and free-for-all for IRC, maybe as:-

Start at 20:30 UTC
1. Introductions
2. Moderated Debate (up to 30 min, questions from audience,
candidates answer as soon as ready)
-- 5 minute break --
3. Free For All (30 min of insanity, panel questions from audience)
4. Closing Remarks
Stop by 21:55 UTC

Would that be better?
--