Re: DPL Debates [Re: Debian Project Leader Election 2009]

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I'd like to raise the question of whether these IRC debates are
> really something we should have. I know Don and the panelists put a
> lot of time and effort into making the debates happen, which is part
> of why I ask the question: is it really worth all this effort? What
> do we get out of a three-hour real-time IRC debate that we don't
> already get from the candidates' platforms and three weeks of
> discussion on debian-vote?

I know that I personally learn a lot, but that's primarily as a
consequence of having to prepare to ask non-naive questions.

I'm not sure if a me-too thread would be the right way to do this, but
I'd certainly be glad to know if it's something that people find
useful and intersting, because there's no question that doing the
debate consumes at least 30 person-hours of work with all of the
participants. [And I could easily spend the 5-6 hours that it takes me
to do them making debbugs better.]

Perhaps someone could set up a poll for DDs to indicate whether they
find the debates useful or not? [I think Jeroen was doing this last?]

If someone can't set up a poll, I'll send another message asking for
DDs to privately mail me (or maybe me-too to -vote) if they find the
debates useful.

Don Armstrong

--
"I was thinking seven figures," he said, "but I would have taken a
hundred grand. I'm not a greedy person." [All for a moldy bottle of