Re: Proposed vote on issue of the day: trademarks and free software

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:45:53AM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 10:17:18AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > For those of you who're not aware: the Mozilla Foundation is now forcing
> > people who want to use their firefox trademark to display an EULA to
> > their users on first run of the software. It does not currently require
> > them to accept to it, so they can easily bypass the license by just
> > ignoring it.
>
> .... and they retracted.

Well, crap, that'll teach me for procrastinating until the damn stuff
gets outdated :-)

Having said that, though, I feel that this should, at most, warrant a
rewording of the statement; not a retraction. This is not the first time
the mozilla people come up with this sort of thing, and I guess it's not
going to be the last time, either.

Rewording it so that the statement is no longer based on the assumption
that the EULA requirement is still in force would render this:

===Begin resolution text===
The Debian Project has been watching the case around the Mozilla
Project's EULA requirement for people wishing to use their trademarks
from a distance. This is an issue that has been brewing for a few years
now; and even though we've chosen not to use the Firefox, Thunderbird,
Mozilla, and Seamonkey trademarks, we still feel that we ought to make
our position on this important issue clear.

The Free Software community as a whole is based around the notion that
one should be allowed to modify software when they feel it necessary;
and that the right to such modification and subsequent redistribution is
a basic right to users that should not be taken away.

The tendency that is apparent in the Mozilla Corporation, which is to
use trademark law to enforce certain requirements which we would not
usually consider to be characteristic of Free Software, is something
that the Debian Project finds disturbing. Free Software is about
Freedom; and whether that freedom is restricted through copyright law or
trademarks really is of no concern.
===End resolution text===

Basically, only the final paragraph changes.

If my seconders can agree with this edited version, I'll retract my
original version.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22