Hats (Was: Re: Technical committee resolution)

MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> I don't believe that we should limit people to one hat, but limiting
> people to one hat *of this type* might be helpful and merits further
> consideration.  What is "this type"?  Probably we need to re-sort
> http://www.debian.org/intro/organization
> to decide that, if people feel it's a good idea.

I have been thinking along similar lines, but considering it from the
other side. I think each 'hat' should have a certain minimum number of
people associated with it (usually at least two), and people should be
able to hold as many 'hats' as they like. However, they can only count
towards the total number for each role in two of the things that they
hold.

For example, say I held three roles, each with a minimum number of 2 in
each role, there would have to be at least one more holder of each role,
and a further one person in one of them.

This means that if someone is motivated enough and has the time to do
all the jobs, that is fine. If one of them takes up their time, we
aren't suddenly left with too  few people. The usual minimum of two
means that someone can be swamped with non-Debian work and things can
still work without them.

Those numbers are all first guesses, but the minimum two I think should
apply in most cases to almost everything other than package maintainers
(since NMUs are not hard). The exceptions probably being DPL and
secretary, which should be = 1. (this means that while a new DPL
wouldn't have to give up other roles, it would be good to recruit an
additional person to one of their posts, so that they can concentrate on
DPL duties). Things like TC, FTP masters, RM, Security etc probably want
rather larger minimums than two.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson