Re: Technical committee resolution

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:37:29 -0400, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> said:
>
> >> Hi, I'm Joey Hess and I decided that Debian's default desktop is
> >>    gnome. How was I able to make this decision? DamnifIknow.
>
>         As RMS would say on emacs-dev; a decision like this should be
>  made by polling the suers (not a vote -- polling them for opinions
>  _and_ reasons.
>
>         The TC would have been equally wrong body to make this decision.

And yet if the d-i team / debian-cd team / developers at large had a
contentious fight about this, the TC would be the ones stuck with the
final decision.

(FWIW, I obviously did listen to users to a certian extent when making
this decision, and since I reluctantly "own" the issue, I continue to
have to listen to users as well as try to keep up with things like kde
4, to make sure that we're still doing *a* (not *the*) right thing. This
includes reading all posts on debian-user, scanning forums.debian.net,
reading installation reports, etc. Bleh..)

--
see shy jo