Re: All Candidates: Do you plan to be prominently visible during your term?

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 07:44:46PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> in the last few years, it has unfortunately become kind of custom that
> the DPL kind of vanishes from the Earth after the wave of inauguration
> and taking over powers has ebbed. Anthony has been kind of an
> exception (since he was quite visible with the dunc-tank experiment),

I'd like to think I was visible otherwise too:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/04/msg00015.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/05/msg00009.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/08/msg00007.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/08/msg00015.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/10/msg00001.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/10/msg00002.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/02/msg00005.html

Steve likewise:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/05/msg00003.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/05/msg00012.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/07/msg00000.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/09/msg00009.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/02/msg00019.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/04/msg00009.html

There was a bunch of stuff not in dda too (some interviews, a couple of
talks, involvement on issues on other debian lists). The lack of posts
in 2006/11, 2006/12, 2007/01, 2007/03 are pretty directly attributable
to trying not to make the dunc-tank controversy even worse, and Steve's
and my direct involvement in the etch release itself.

OTOH, the platform on which Sam was elected explicitly says in regard
to my term: "Also, looking for the word communication in [Anthony's]
platform does not make it look like he acknowledges or plans to address
the communication problems that have been raised throughout his term."

My conclusion from all that is that communication is _really_ hard to
do well and it's even harder if you want to be seen to do well. We're
in the habit of expecting DPLs to not communicate, to the point where
even if they do it doesn't really count.

> and I really haven't seen much from Sam during his term.

For example, there's been:

   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/04/msg00011.html
   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/07/msg00003.html
   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/08/msg00001.html
   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/11/msg00000.html
   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/11/msg00005.html
   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/02/msg00009.html

   http://sam.zoy.org/blog/?cat=dpl

which is pretty comparable to either my own Steve's communication
individually during my term, if you exclude the dunc-tank stuff. I'm
assuming we're not looking for a DPL to create a hugely controversial
project just for the visibility it gives the DPL.

> What is your plan to ensure your ongoing visibility during your term?
> Do you plan to post regular "bits from the DPL", and which measures
> will you implement to prevent a failure similiar to the failures of
> your predecessors?

Personally, I'd consider mine and Steve's communications to have been a
success; and if you're not going to count delegate communications (like
the 2IC, or the other Bits From...), then _I_ think Sam's communication
has been exactly what we should expect from the DPL.

So, to the candidates (and maybe Sam): how do you define as "success"
for communication, and how will we judge whether you've achieved that
when your term concludes? How does that criteria compare against the
performance of previous DPLs?

Cheers,
aj