Re: Raphael Hertzog: When to commit into repositories of teams?

* Raphael Hertzog (hertzog@debian.org) [080310 10:51]:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > * Raphael Hertzog (hertzog@debian.org) [080310 09:46]:

> > > Can you justify this assertion?
> > >
> > > I have worked _with_ Guillem Jover and Frank Lichtenheld and _they_ have
> > > granted me commit rights to the repository.
> >
> > Where in my message did I say "buxy has done commits of that kind, and
> > he should explain his actions"? I just asked them what your opinion is,
> > and the recent dpkg flame fest gave me the idea to ask.
>
> The subject of your mail is "When to commit into repositories of teams?"
> and you thus imply that I have commited without authorization in the dpkg
> team repository. That's simply not correct.

Eh, I would think taking a class in reading mails prior to running for
DPL would be a good thing for you.

My mail implies that I want to have an opinion from you on that. It
doesn't imply personal experience with such behaviour.

But I think that it is important for any DPL candidate to be able to
be a conflict solver, and - as the recent dpkg case has shown -
conflicts over commits do happen, and can get quite bad. I don't have
any doubts with the other two candidates, but as you have played an
active role in such conflicts at least twice (on different sides of the
conflicts), I would be interessted in your anwers.

As I have learned, you didn't really want to answer that.

> > So, perhaps you can give me a summary why e.g. Ians commits to dpkg
> > wasn't ok, even though he was trying to get his patches integrated for 6
> > months, but your commits to dev-ref were ok, even though you didn't
> > contact me (or opened a bug report) and it is explicitly documented you
> > shouldn't just commit?
>
> I wasn't aware of the new review rule and you didn't explain it to me.

I asked you on IRC to stop committing for various reasons, one of it
being a pending conversion of the dev-ref to another format, but you
refused to do so, and you told me that you will commit anyways even if I
object.

> In Ian's case, he was aware before the commit that we didn't want him to
> do the merge and despite the guidance that I tried to provide him, he
> stubbornly was blocked to the unconditional merge of his branch as is
> (that is with a messed up history).

So the difference is that Ian contacted the dpkg-people before, but you
didn't contact the dev-ref-people before, and for this reason, you were
allowed to commit, but Ian was not? Interessting point of view.

Cheers,
Andi
--
  http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/