Re: New section for firmware.

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Having two sets of images doesn't make sense to me; the CD team have
> already posted publically this cycle about the infrastructure
> challenges involved with publishing those images that they already
> have to accomodate, doubling the image count doesn't sound feasible,

I don't see the need for multiple CD sets.[1]

All that should be needed is a single first CD (netinst or similar
small image?) and hdimage (and floppies?) with all of the non-free
firmware we can legally distribute present.[2] After the initial
installation, users can then use the normal CDs and or DVDs to add
additional software. Presumably the non-free firmware CD would also
contain the packages and archive structure necessary for normal
installation of the non-free firmware containing packages. I'd think
that an extra 600Mx3 (or however many architectures need non-free
firmware) wouldn't be a huge deal for our cdimage mirrors.

Ideally, such a CD would be marked as "unofficial" or similar to
indicate that it contains non-free firmware, but it could be linked
and distributed as normal.

Don Armstrong

1: -vote really is the wrong list to discuss this on; Cc'ing debian-cd
so knowledgeable people there can tell me I'm on crack.

2: We could make the larger images too, I guess, but there's no reason
why you couldn't just load the packages from the normal set of media.
Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing, after they
have exhausted all other possibilities.
 -- W. Churchill