Re: New section for firmware.

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> The idea is to create a new section that contains files like
> firmware images and FPGA data that gets written to the hardware
> to make it fully functional.  It is not meant for drivers that run
> on the host CPU.

 Do you propose to include data for which we only lack source or build
 tools or doc?  Or would it also include firmware data which has a
 license preventing any modification to the contents of the data?

 If the intent is to include it in our CD-ROMs, I think some people will
 want a "really really free" CD-ROM which doesn't have this section.
 So that would mean two sets of images.  What is the advantage of this
 section over pulling firmwares from non-free into a second set of
 images?

--
Loïc Minier