Re: Supermajority requirements and historical context [Was, Re: First call for votes for the Lenny release GR]

Ean Schuessler wrote:
The point of the super majority was to "engrave the social contract in stone". From the beginning, there was a concern that financial incentives would distort the shape of the organization and we wanted a safeguard against the system being gamed by a commercial organization "buying up" the voting populace. (Microsoft being the primary suspect in that day)

I think if Microsoft wants to give every DD $500, it would be worth the effort of forking the project. Of course, if they aren't careful, you could just immediately revert the change, too.