Re: Discussion: granting discretion to release team (was: Call for seconds: DFSG violations in Lenny)

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:29:35PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> Given that this is supposed to be the discussion period, I'd like to share
> my standpoint regarding one option.
>
> Andreas Barth wrote:
> > | We as Developers at large continue to trust our release team to follow
> > | all these goals, and therefor encourage them to continue making
> > | case-by-case-decisions as they consider fit, and if necessary
> > | authorize these decisions.
>
> I am extremely hesitant when it comes to this option. In fact, I think
> it's going to end up below "Further discussion" on my ballot.
>
> [...]
>
> So, although I completely disagree with Robert Milan on his viewpoints
> regarding firmware, I do thank him for bringing the matter to the
> attention of the project.

Hi Frans,

Although I disagree with you on firmware [1], I appreciate your responsible
attitude towards this.  There are many positions around the "firmware problem",
and I believe the only way we can reconcile them and stay together as a
project is by holding a healthy debate on it, and ressort to voting if it
wasn't possible to reach consensus by other means.

Thank you

[1] but, probably not as much as you think.

--
Robert Millan