Re: Bug reports of DFSG violations are tagged ???lenny-ignore????

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 18:45 -0500, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> I guess the question is, staying in the arena of "100% Free", what if
> DRM technologies become pervasive in the United States and Europe and
> it literally becomes illegal to have a computer without some
> proprietary software in it? What if it becomes impossible to develop
> on a computer, legally, without compromising? Would it still be better
> to have a computer that is 99.9% free? Keep in mind that I'm asking
> this in the scenario where providing the last 0.01% as Free Software
> would be illegal.

If that happens, we will have to make some difficult choices.  But we
are nowhere near that now.  For example, I vote, as a matter of
principle.  But if I lived in various extreme situations, I would not
vote, for example, if I were in a one-party state with no real
elections.  And then *that* principle might well be one I would
compromise on if the state in question enforced serious criminal
penalties on non-voters.  And so it goes.

Thomas