Re: [DRAFT] resolving DFSG violations

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 20:24 +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 05:52:28PM +0000, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >         This is the part I am not comfortable with. I do not think the
> >  delegates have the powers to decide when enough progress has been made
> >  to violate a foundation document in our release.  Just like an
> >  individual developer does not have a right to decide to violate the
> >  DFSG in their work, I think the release team, which prepares the
> >  release, can do so unilaterally either (I did not vote for Bush).
>
> And you're comfortable with ftp-master ruling DFSG-iness through NEW
> then ? I don't really see the difference.

I can't speak for Manoj, but for my own part, I have not seen any
evidence that ftp-master is letting things through NEW which are in
clear violation of the DFSG, so it doesn't come up.

> FWIW you can query all the lenny-ignore bugs on the BTS, there arent a
> lot, and check if you agree. Unlike Bush (and the reference is quite
> offensive, really) we don't hide such matters, and we never said we're
> not open to discussion.
>
> BUt yeah, tagging bugs lenny-ignore is part of the RM tasks, and we're
> delegated for that (among other things).

So far, the release team has shown no awareness in this thread that
ignoring a technical RC bug is entirely different from ignoring a
violation of the core documents of the project.  Nobody is talking about
technical bugs, and it would be helpful if y'all stopped bringing them
up.

Thomas