Re: [DRAFT] resolving DFSG violations

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 04:48:16PM +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 05:47:58PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> >     [...]. Here you could modify source,
> >     big deal, you won't be able to *build* the damn firmware. ever.

> And if there are no tools, we just drop the driver untill someone's willing to
> add a /lib/firmware/ blob loader.  Which will no doubt be done really soon by
> anyone who's actually interested in supporting non-free stuff (unlike myself).

Such a position is blatantly impractical. To date, Debian has been
rather pragmatic in its choice, trying to find a proper compromise
between the DFSG and its usability.

> Your reply doesn't add any useful feedback that could contribute to improving
> the GR text.  Please note that the purpose of this thread is not discussing
> whether you agree with the GR or not, but providing useful feedback so that it
> can be found acceptable by more people.  I can't see any specific suggestion of
> this kind in your mail.  Please take this into account in future replies.

I can't see any solution the the glibc and portmap issues either. Please
take into account in your future replies that skipping the bits you
don't want to read isn't going to make you prove your point.

My proposal is simple, and it was implied: the GR proposal is silly
because it fixes nothing that needs addressing. It add rules that are
too rigid and to date would move 95% of Debian to contrib and non-free.
And if we are to vote something, it'd be to say that unless a toolchain
to build a firmware exist, and unless firmwares licenses prohibit
distribution, firmwares are okay.

But you seem to miss a very important bit: and I see no reason to do a
GR for something that is going in the proper direction. No firmware
issue tagged etch-ignore is still present in lenny. IOW the kernel team
*is* doing good work in that area, and I see no reason to pressure them
more than useful.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit