Re: Proposed vote on issue of the day: trademarks and free software

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 10:17, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

> As such, I'm proposing the following position statement as under section
> 4.1.5 of the constitution:

I am not sure if a constitution change is the right way to go. An official
statement and possibly a wall of shame are a Good Thing, though.

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:56, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

> ===Begin resolution text===
> The Debian Project has been watching the case around the Mozilla
> Project's EULA requirement for people wishing to use their trademarks
> from a distance. This is an issue that has been brewing for a few years
> now; and even though we've chosen not to use the Firefox, Thunderbird,
> Mozilla, and Seamonkey trademarks, we still feel that we ought to make
> our position on this important issue clear.

Adding a reference to the current date & the action in question would be a
good idea, imo. Else, it will be hard to pinpoint what _exactly_ caused this
statement to be made without knowing already or going through mailing
list archives / changelogs.

Please note that IANADD, yet I care deeply about FLOSS so I decided
to chip in,
Richard