Re: Technical committee resolution

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:48:28 +1100, Anthony Towns
<aj@azure.humbug.org.au> said:

>    3. When there are 8 members, the Project Leader may appoint any
>       Developer to the Technical Committee replacing the longest
>       serving current member, provided there have not already been 2
>       or more appointments to the Technical Committee during the
>       current Leader's term.

        This is a bad idea. The length of term of service is a bad
 indicator of utility of the member to Debian. Consider this scenario:
 what if the longest serving members are the most active members of the
 team, and the newer members being mostly MIA, you have just degraded
 the tech ctte's utility.

        The grounds for removing people should be whether they are
 present at all (which is the criteria used when we last shed  people
 from the ctte), or some measure of the quality of contribution.

        Most of the arguments posited against term limits apply here;
 because this is just term limits in disguise (with a term limit of 4
 years).

        manoj
--
"Love your country but never trust its government." from a hand-painted
road sign in central Pennsylvania