Re: Debian Maintainers GR Proposal

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 05:52:49PM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Friday 22 June 2007 16:50, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Not for the benefit of that developer, but for our benefit.  I have no fear
> > at all of Matthew Garrett doing an incompetent job of preparing packages;
> > why should we make it hard for *Debian* to take advantage of his
> > contributions?

> Just to get things clear here: is Matthew Garrett actually interested in such
> a feature? As I understand his parting message, he left the project because
> he felt uncomfortable here and he didn't want to limit himself to just the
> superficial contact that you're describing. Of course I cannot read his mind,
> so that's why I ask.

Matthew is still the maintainer of at least two packages in Debian, which he
now needs a sponsor in order to upload.  I have no reason to believe he
wouldn't avail himself of upload access for his packages, if it didn't have
DD status attached.

> > (Repeat this argument x times for all the NMs we currently have that are
> > already being trusted to prepare their own packages for sponsorship, with
> > no real review by the sponsors)

> They are in NM, so have the intention to become a DD soon. They can
> appearently be trusted to make unchecked uploads. In that case they'll be
> DD's soon. If that does not happen, the NM process needs to be fixed, not a
> separate procedure introduced to span the time between NM-ready-for-uploading
> and account creation.

Being trusted to upload packages means you are trusted to upload packages.
In practice, individual Debian developers are already today making
autonomous decisions about whether they believe a particular non-DD can be
trusted to prepare packages, because those developers are sponsoring
packages without looking at them.  But there are other components to NM
besides 'trusted to prepare working packages' which are *not* just
"procedural stamps".  Being trusted by one sponsor to prepare uploads of
your own package is not the same thing as being trusted to prepare NMUs of
arbitrary packages, to prepare new packages from scratch, to upload packages
of a different sort, or to integrate oneself appropriately into the broader
Debian community as a full peer.

> We've seen in the past that capable people can pass through NM very quickly,
> where most of the waiting is for FD, DAM approval. If the need is really
> high, people can and are already be fasttracked.

"Fast tracking" by definition only works as an exception.