Re: Question to all the candidates: what mistakes have you made and what did you learn of it

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 09:08:20AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since so much of the perceived troubles debian has been having lately can be
> traced down to arrogance and pride, as well as failures to communicate, i want
> to ask these question to the DPL candidates now :
>
>   1) Can you tell us a few of the most important mistakes you have made during
>   these past two years with regard to debian ?

There are many things where I've made a mistake. I said I'd write a
replacement for the exim4-config package, which then didn't happen (I
really need to revisit that at some point in the not-so-far-away
future). I uploaded an nbd-client package a while back with no binary in
it (which clearly shows that I didn't test, but "there were relevant
changes in nbd-server only anyway"). I'm sure there are other things I
could come up with, but I also tend to actively forget the mistakes I
make.

>   2) What do you believe where the consequences of those mistakes ?

Configuring exim4 still sucks. There were no consequences for the nbd
mistake (other than that I had to do another upload).

>   3) What do you think in retrospect you would have done differently ?

I'm not sure. I do think exim4 could use a different set of
configuration questions, but I guess I underestimated the amount of work
and thought that would require, and exim's complexity.

>   4) What lessons did these mistakes teach you, and how will this affect
>   similar situations you will be facing as DPL if elected, or as normal DD if
>   not elected ?

It taught me that sometimes, there are battles you just can't win.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22