Re: Question to all the candidates: what mistakes have you made and what did you learn of it

Hi,

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Sven Luther wrote:
>   1) Can you tell us a few of the most important mistakes you have made during
>   these past two years with regard to debian ?

The announce of an Ubuntu freeze on d-d-a.

>   2) What do you believe where the consequences of those mistakes ?

A big flamewar.

>   3) What do you think in retrospect you would have done differently ?

I shouldn't have sent this announce given that it had no direct benefit to
Debian. Instead I have gone through other routes to promote better
collaboration between both distributions.

>   4) What lessons did these mistakes teach you, and how will this affect
>   similar situations you will be facing as DPL if elected, or as normal DD if
>   not elected ?

You can be in good faith trying to do something positive and still be the
source of flamewar. That's why I believe peer-review is important in
particular for high-visibility tasks such as the one of the DPL. And with
a DPL board, there's this level of selection that avoid the biggest
mistakes.

Raphaël Hertzog