Re: Question for Aigars Mahinovs

David Moreno Garza wrote:
> Hello Aigars,
>
> On the DPL debate held last weekend, you stated that you'd support not
> trying to release while you on chair, but instead, work on a ~3 year
> timeframe release. Why's that?

There are two reasons for that:
* the corporate reason - I imagine many users of Debian stable
distribution to be of corporate nature. Such users dislike a need to
change anything and upgrading to a new software version is a major
headache for them (even if it is Debian stable). A 3 year release cycle
will allow such corporate users to upgrade every 3-5 years which is the
sweetspot for such operations. As for other Debian users, testing or
even unstable might be more appropriate in the mean time.

* the social reason - in my view Debian is overheating. A selfcentered
desire to release as often as possible does not allow us to thing about
what exactly are we releasing. Debian can release 10 releases a year,
but that will not mean that there will be anything good in there. I
think that we need to step back and think about bigger issues then what
kernel version to include in the next release. Now that people are
thinking about it, the ideas are flowing more rapidly - source in a
version control system, bug system improvements, source package
simplification, ...

I do not claim to know what we should innovate on or how to implement
that. Much more competent people are among us to do that. I do however
claim that we need to step back, stop worrying about a release and start
innovating again, or else .. or else Debian might just go too stable.

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org