Re: emulation has fewer bugs than certain hardware

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:

> I do see some dissent to emulation. Most of it doesn't seem to be based
> on any experience/fact/hard date though.

All of which applies to virtualization in general (a possible exception
might be a virtual machine wherein all packages execute exactly the same
code as they would on some available non-virtualized hardware, if such a
VM exists).

The benefits of virtualization are pretty well understood (various
economies derived from consolidation), these mostly apply to emulation
too. Only things can I see to differentiate emulation from virtualization
are that it is more compute expensive, and that errata can be fixed.

-f