Re: Questions to all candidates: Release importance, release blockers, release quality

[ First of all, apologies for the delayed response; I'm catching up
  after several days of FOSDEM-plague :-( ]

Hi Marc,

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 12:16:21PM +0100, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I would be happy to hear answers from all candidates to these questions,
>but I expect that they are at least partially answered by the
>platforms. Please simply point to them if you included an answer there,
>even if they are not online yet.
>
>So, to the questions:
>
>* How important are regular releases for the project?

In my opinion, very important. For all that we have large numbers of
developers and users following unstable or testing, in my experience
we have a very large userbase depending on our stable releases. From
talking to lots of Debian users, a regular release is important to
them. Some have coped with our releases taking longer and longer in
the recent past because they love our stability, but more
predictability in release timings would be wonderful.

>* How important are regular stable point releases for the project?

Also very important; they allow stable users to keep up-to-date with
minimal pain. I'd like us to be more regular with the point releases;
every 2 or 3 months would be ideal.

I'm also very much hoping we can get something new working for etch
point releases: installer updates with newer kernels etc. That would
help solve one of the few issues with our longer release intervals,
which is that new hardware is released which our kernels don't
support.

>* Should we fix up dak to allow point-releases for old-stable?

I'm not convinced that it would be very useful, but I certainly
wouldn't oppose such work. Do you think it should be done?

>* Could you list the issues that you think delayed the release of etch?
>  Do you think that we need to restructure the release process for lenny
>  to avoid these? If yes, how?

As I see it, the issues that have delayed etch have mainly been
kernel-related. We've been waiting quite a long time for a releasable
kernel to make it into the archive, and that has been blocking d-i RC2
(and hence the release itself. We've had a lot of RC bugs open, but I
don't actually see them as a major release blocker. It's easy enough
to remove most packages with RC bugs when we're ready, and otherwise
expecting to hit 0 RC bugs for release is never a realistic goal.

I don't think we need to restructure the release process necessarily,
but maybe we do need to get more people involved and caring about the
process/date earlier on. I have personally been *very* impressed with
the etch release team, and I wish more people could be as
dedicated.

The big difference this time (imho) is that once sarge released we did
*not* just let things go for a while, hoping to clean up later. This
time, migrations to testing have mostly been very well managed, with
bigger updates closely monitored and controlled throughout the
cycle. That has made a huge difference, and I applaud the effort
involved on all sides.

>* Do you think that a release of high quality is more important than a
>  timely release? [ie: Should we switch from "when it's ready" to "when
>  we said we would release"]

A compromise would be nice, and should certainly be possible. If we
can agree upon and set a *reasonable* expected date, most of our
issues should be predictable enough to allow us to freeze appropriate
versions of all the larger package sets (Gnome, KDE, kernel, X, etc.)
with enough time to make that date *and* still meet our expected high
quality standards.

"You can't barbecue lettuce!" -- Ellie Crane