Re: Question for Sam Hocevar

Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org> writes:

>    Maybe I don't understand the question. You seem to be asking me
> whether I find acceptable for the role of DPL the "racism" of an
> organisation I am not even a part of. And your e-mail seems to me to go
> as far as suggesting I am racist (I am not). How is it relevant?

Okay, let me try a rephrasing.

You seem to be a frequent contributor to a site associated with GNAA,
which is a trolling organization that has had past run-ins with Wikipedia
and other volunteer projects.  Could you clarify, first, whether that's
actually true or whether it's just a case of mistaken identity?

If it is true, could you comment on the degree of your involvement with
GNAA?  In other words, do you just find this one site, not related to
their other activities, interesting and have ignored the other things
they're doing?  Do you think they're unfairly maligned?  Did you not even
know who they were?

More broadly, could you give your feelings on the impact of trolling,
attempts to shock and offend people, and similar forms of humor on
volunteer projects with a huge variety of participants?  Do you think that
such humor would be appropriate on, say, Debian mailing lists or IRC
channels?