Re: Questions to the candidates

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 04:55:58PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Unfortunately we have big cultural differences when it comes to use of the
> > money. Some people [...] feel they are some sort of second class
> > developers because they will never have that opportunity to earn money
> > while doing Debian stuff.
>
>   Hey, that's not really a cultural difference here.

It's not indeed, and I said that to show that not everybody has the same
reason to dislike (or like) the initiative. However, the people who have
had the biggest problems with the initiative are those who have been
affected by the cultural difference.

> If you really already know for sure some people won't never ever get
> paid, how could they feel otherwise?
>
>   And I'm curious, which "kind" of developer will never get paid?

Thijs and Frank already responded to those questions and I agree with
what they said.

> > * Deciding what to pay (and hence who to pay) and how much to pay is
> >   a very difficult task. How can we ensure effective use of the money
>
>   I suppose you meant efficient ?

You're french like me and I wonder what subtle difference you put between
those two words. When I do "dict effective" I have in the definition
"efficient" which means that both terms are closely related.

I meant effective as "producing a decided or decisive effect".

In any case, it's a bad habit of ours to discuss the choice of words
instead of concentrating on the general meaning of the sentence.
We're many non-native english speakers and we're not used to play
with subtle difference in words. :)

> >   without giving the power to decide to a small subset of Debian people?
>
>   IMHO the answer is simple: do not let a subpart of Debian try to fund
> another subpart of it, and let third party contractors do that if they
> want. Or do not pay people, but events or devcamps for teams that have
> very important task to achieve and that can benefit from such camps.

That's a simple solution, but we're used to finding a good solution
instead of accepting a short-term hack. :-)

Raphaël Hertzog