Re: Question for candidates: the d-i conflict

Hi,

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to ask Anthony and Steve what they think of how they handled
> the conflict between Frans Pop and Sven Luther, and other candidates how
> they would have handled this conflict.

I would have delegated the mediation attempt because I know Sven IRL (he's
French like me) whereas I have less contacts with Frans (although I met
him several times during debian gatherings).

> To everyone: how would you avoid such situations to become this
> problematic in the future?

I have no idea, there's no generic response to such situations. Mediation
is a good idea in general but this story showed us that mediating is not
an easy task and that it can't always succeed.

In that particular case, given that it's not Sven's work but Sven's
relationsship with d-i that is in cause, I would have hoped that we could
have found someone knowledgeable enough in powerpc that could act as
intermediary between the d-i project and Sven. Sadly, it looks like nobody
is able to play that role (or maybe nobody wants to play that role because
the difficult situation is there for too long already).

I can only advice both sides to concentrate on technical stuff without
blowing up each time that the other side does a mistake.

Raphaël Hertzog