Re: Questions to the candidates

On 2/25/07, Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 04:33:48PM -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> On 2/25/07, Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:
> >Hi,
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> >These questions may be skipped by AJ, because the answers are obvious.
>
> I would like to read his answers too.
>
> >What do you think of the dunc-tank initiative ?
>
> I think that the initiative affected the Debian community as a whole
> for better.

  Could you develop a bit ? I fail to see how tearing the community
apart did made it better, at least I miss a step in your reasoning here.

Hi Pierre,

Yes, i can. Let us evaluate some of the fundamental things that makes
a community better:

- Sense of participation
There is no community without a group of individuals participating and
a better community is one where these individuals feel that they're
part of the group.

- Hard work
There is no doubt that hard work can be done to intentionally make a
community worse, but hard work usually makes a community better.

- Good results
Good results are interesting for the atmosphere, to bring more people
in the community and stuff like that.

- Hear Feedback
That's good when those who aren't direct involved in the community
feel that they're part, share this sense of participation with them
listening their feedback makes a better community.

The dunc-tank initiative give us the opportunity to exercise the four
things i outlined above. It would be great, work in a community where
you can exercise just that, but such community doesn't exist.
Unfortunately, there are the bad unintentional side effects or wrong
decisions. The balance of what make our community better or worse is
that need tweak. We're now better than we were before dunc-tank, but
it could be even better. Without the experiment? Maybe, but in a world
where it happened we can use it to learn as many are doing, and not to
flame forever.

regards,
-- stratus
http://stratusandtheswirl.blogspot.com