Re: [GR] DD should be allowed to perform binary-only uploads

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 03:27:25PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > The error rate on requeue requests that reach me is significant, even from
> > people who are well-informed and involved in the process (e.g., fellow
> > release-team members).  Maybe they're less cautious because they know I vet
> > all requests, but I would expect that opening dep-waits/requeues up to the
> > general dev population would result in a *lot* of unnecessary rebuild tries,
> > stuck packages holding up transitions, etc., because the average developer
> > simply isn't clued in on this stuff.
> >
> > Heck, before m68k was dropped as a factor in package propagation into
> > testing, I was routinely finding bogus dep-waits set by the m68k buildd
> > maintainers themselves, and that's only about a half-dozen people.
>
> I can name you the reasons why I don't have much of a clue about this (I
> think):
>
> - it wasn't part of the NM T&S process, IIRC; all the technical details
>   of testing propagation, freeze/unblock/, and general release team work
>   were a bit meager maybe.

In the NM process, you're not expected to learn about everything in
Debian.  It's about what you as a normal DD need to know.

If you want to do release team work, that's something you'll have to
learn, and it's actually not that hard to learn.

> - it's not easy to see what's going on there, and why.  For example, I
>   don't know where I can read what dep-wait means and why and how a
>   package is put in this state.  I think I know what it means and why it
>   needs to be put there (manually), but that's just because it seems
>   logical.  And although I'm not the most involved developer, at least I
>   once setup a buildd and read about wanna-build (about two years ago,
>   forgot all...).

So you do know that there exist documentation about wanna-build.  It

Anyway, it's all at:
http://www.debian.org/devel/buildd

And the states itself:
http://www.debian.org/devel/buildd/wanna-build-states

> - What's the contact point for asking for dep-wait or requeue?  I guess
>   it's that famous bunch of addresses that's also known for getting no
>   response, and when you want to learn something, an occasional "thanks,
>   it seems you've grasped the principle" or "Thanks, but you missed the
>   following" is very helpful.

I think in most cases you don't request dep-waits and let the buildd admin
deal with that itself.  It's probably easier to just wait until the
dependencies are available and then request it to be requeued.  But
$arch@buildd.debian.org is the right place for any such requests.

> Of course it's difficult to change that.  Someone should write a nice
> page about it, and "someone" is, as usual, a synonym for "not me".

So, which parts do you think aren't documented properly?

Kurt