Re: Social committee, legislature, sanctioning

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 02:54:00PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> The tech-ctte is the example that I think the soc-ctte is partly modelled
> after.  It works pretty well and handles internal disagreements, but it's
> aided in that by the fact that the questions are very technical and voting
> is used to resolve disagreements.  I'm not sure the same tools would work
> here.  Taking votes on difficult personal issues often ends up being a
> lose-lose situation, where every voting outcome escalates the situation in
> a different way and at least creates the appearance of factions.

Agreed.  IMO the social committee must not vote, in fact it mustn't ever
decide who is Right and who is Wrong.  For that, we could use some
"judges".  Combining the function of mediator and judge in one committee
will very likely escalate problems instead of solve them.

What I think is the main task of the social committee is to defuse
situations when that is still possible.  So they must be there early on.
Some policing helps there (kicking people off IRC channels, temporary
list bans, that sort of thing), because either people will think about
their actions and conclude the sanction was appropriate, or they will
get angry and request mediation (hopefully).  Without the sanction, the
problems can grow while they remain unnoticed until it's too late to
solve them.

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html