Re: electing multiple people

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 23:41:41 +0200, Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> said:

> On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 02:54:18PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> I think you misunderstand.  The graph is a perfectly clear
>> representation of the pairwise defeats as it corresponds to the
>> single winner outcome; and it shows the relative strengths of the
>> defeats.  There is nothing wrong with it -- as long as you do not try
>> to project and use that data for multi-winner predictions. All the
>> candidates are rpesented, and the relative pairwise defeats are
>> presented -- quite correctly.  Assuming that the pairwise defeats
>> have something to do with global ordering is a leap, however, and not
>> one which is promoted by the web page.

> Uh, yes, it is. The picture clearly orders candidates from top to
> bottom, so it's a fair assumption. But never mind.

        You do have a point.  Based on the pairwise defeats, one can get
 a sense of how candidates might have ranked --- and the ranking so
 uncovered is likely to be correct in absence of circular defeats (in
 other words, if the second place race did not have a clear [condorcet]
 winner).

        The picture gives, in other words, a ranking that conveys
 information, is often not far from the truth, and thus, useful
 interpretation of the beat matrix, and yet is still unsuitable for more
 formal use cases -- like deciding how to order N winners, where N > 1.

        Anyway, I'll try and place the winner first on the next set of
 updates I do.

        manoj
--
What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.