Re: electing multiple people

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:33:54 +0200, Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> said:

> Hi, During the discussion on the proposed social committee, I proposed
> that we elect (all) the members of that committee. The Debian
> Constitution currently doesn't provide for a way to do so - it only
> describes how a single winner is decided.

> So, I proposed the following addition to the section A.6. Vote
> Counting (part of appendix A Standard Resolution Procedure):

> + If the election requires multiple winners, the list of winners is
> + created by sorting the list of options by ascending strength.
> + If there are multiple winners with the same ranking which exceed
> + the desired length of the list, the length of the list is extended
> + to include the entire last set of multiple winners.

> Is this technically sound? I don't know voting method syntax.

        I do not think this is. I would like the solution to at least
 have the property of proportionality, if nothing else, which the above
 does not have.

        I am working on a variant of the method we use (which is also
 defined very clearly in [0].  I want to prevent the kinds of problems
 of free riding mentioned in [1], for example, in any mechanism we
 select.

        With that in mind, I would like to expand on the ideas
 presented in [1] above, and expanded upon in [2], rather than try
 ad-hoc voting methods. If there are other methods to use that have the
 same theoretical underpinnings as [2], I would be happy to consider
 them.

        manoj

0: A New Monotonic, Clone-Independent, Reversal Symmetric, and
   Condorcet-Consistent Single-Winner Election Method --- Markus Schulze
   http://m-schulze.webhop.net/schulze1.pdf

1: Free Riding and Vote Management under Proportional Representation  by
   the Single Transferable Vote ---  Markus Schulze
   http://m-schulze.webhop.net/schulze2.pdf

2: Implementing the Schulze STV Method  --- Markus Schulze
   http://m-schulze.webhop.net/schulze3.zip

--
"Someone's been mean to you! Tell me who it is, so I can punch him
tastefully." Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse