Re: electing multiple people

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 06:08:41PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> couldn't we get cycles using that? Alternatively, we could iteratively
> elect:
> - winner1: the winner with all candidates
> - winner2: the winner with all candidates minus winner1
> - winner3: the winner with all candidates minus [winner1, winner2]
> - etc
> using the same tally sheet

You can't do that and keep all the 'goodness' of our voting system, because
doing that loses the interdependencies of votes. I don't know how to explain
it properly :), please see:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2007/06/msg00318.html

> Or, we could elect a list directly (ie each option is a list of people
> willing to work together as SC), which would allow to elect a SC which
> is actually representative for Debian.

This means parties, and I don't see any proof that this would help with
being representative?

> It's probably better than the first solution, as the first solution isn't
> clone-proof: we could have elected n Sams!! ;)

There should be some sentence in the constitution that can be interpreted as
a rule against cloning... :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.