Re: Constitutional amendment: reduce the length of DPL election process

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 11:52:58AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > >     2. The election begins [-nine-] {+six+} weeks before the leadership
> > >        post becomes vacant, or (if it is too late already) immediately.
> >
> > Is there any reason to reduce this time period? Having a buffer zone
> > of three weeks is useful for continuity and/or cases where the
> > nomination period must be extended (though it leads to a short lame
> > duck period).
>
> I agree.  No reason was given AFAICS, so I propose:

Here's a reason: to reduce the period during which there is uncertainty
about the DPL's powers.

During elections, it's hard for an incumbent DPL to use his powers, for
fear of stuff like
http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2007/02/msg00162.html happening.

Right after the election (or vote, if you please), if the DPL-elect is
not the incumbent DPL and was elected on a platform that is sufficiently
different from the incumbent DPL's platform and/or conduct as DPL, then
having the incumbent DPL stay in office for too long is questionable.

The election period does not end when the vote ends, and so your
amendment defeats the whole purpose of aj's proposal.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22