Re: Constitutional amendment: reduce the length of DPL election process

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 12:53:11PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 02:30:31PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Personally, I think annual elections are a good thing, pretty much for the
> > reasons outlined by Jeff in:
> >     http://lists.linux.org.au/archives/linux-aus/2005-July/msg00030.html
> I'll summarize those as "if people want continuity in people on (the
> board/the DPL position/whatever), they can re-elect them".
> I don't think it works that way.

Well, it does elsewhere. On the other hand, there were a couple of
assumptions in Jeff's message that don't seem to apply to Debian:

] We don't have a lot of churn and we don't have too many people standing for
] the committee. Thus, elections are more of a checkpoint than an earthquake.
] They give the committee the opportunity to step back, reassess, take new
] ideas into account, and move on. Plus, it's unlikely that former members
] would completely disappear - they can always help the transition.

I mean: we do have a fair bit of churn, we do have a bunch of people
standing for DPL (eight or nine people per position, as opposed to SPI's
latest election which had 2.2 people per position, eg), elections do
have a bit of a tendency towards being earthquakes, and former members
often do disappear...

Cheers,
aj