Re: Request for GR: clarifying the license text licensing / freeness issue

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 03:59:08PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote: Frankly
> I'd be happy with any honest solution.  Currently the promise made in the
> Social Contract is very stark, very bold, and also untrue.  The DFSG are
> very stark and bold about this as well.  Lots of "must", "never" and
> "100%", which simply isn't what's going on.

Egad, it sounds like you actually live in an evil parallel universe where
idealism is inherently dishonest and false. That universe must really suck. :)

> If the promise were, say, "Debian will remain 99 44/100% free", I wouldn't
> worry about this stuff!

I was really hoping that the above hyperbole would be the last bit of
near-absurdity in your message, but you just outdid yourself there :(

Please, try to remember the spirit of those promises, rather than trying
to find gremlins in them.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.