Re: Question for Gustavo and Sam: bringing back the fun

[I hope that continuing vote discussions after voting begins is fine]

Margarita Manterola wrote:
> On 3/15/07, Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org> wrote:
>
>>    My main approach to make it fun again to work on Debian is to
>> reduce the frustration. You cannot have fun doing something if your
>> contributions are ignored, if you cannot access the resources you need
>> to do the work, if your administrative requests are postponed because
>> there are more urgent matters, and if you do not know what is going on
>> and why.
>
> Agreed, you can't.  But even if all of these were fixed (and none are
> easy to fix, anyway), that does not guarantee that everyone will start
> having fun.
>
>> From my own point of view, there are several things that currently
> make things not fun, which are not listed in your platform:
>
> 1) flamewars: the constant bickering on mailing list is depressing, it
> takes away a lot of time, and it gives the whole project a bad
> reputation.

Flamewars are good if the discussions are based on facts. Lately most
flamewars in Debian were on opinions, not on facts. If I am elected DPL,
there will be plenty of things to discuss about that can be discussed
based on facts and ideas and not just opinions of personal preferences.
I think that will reduce the boredom on the lists and thus reduce the
pointless flamewars.

> 2) bad maintainers "owning" packages (i.e. not being able to help out
> packages that are bad shape, because only RC or important bugs should
> be NMUed).  Thus, we see patches for "normal" bugs rotten in the BTS
> for years.  This is depressing too.

Policy should dictate more about the packages then it does now. And I
would also look positively on technical measures that would allow
helping out a fellow DD with packaging while not imposing on him at the
same time.

> 3) reluctancy to change how we do things.  There are a lot of DDs that
> have a "We are the best distribution ever, we shouldn't change
> anything" attitude.  We are being left behind.  All the other distros
> are improving, renewing, adding extra stuff, and we are still doing
> the same things.

From my platform you can easily see that I do not have that attitude.

> 4) jealousy, bitterness, envy, and other feelings like that among DDs.
> If we just stopped the  personal attacks and started concentrating on
> what we like (free software, I assume we all like that), then we could
> have much more fun.

There are not enough changes to talk about, so it is natural that we
started to talk about each other.

> 5) (this should taken with a grain of salt) length of releases.
>
> About this last point, I'm all for stable and good releases, but I'd
> like to quote some parts of Ian Murdock's "founding" message [0]
>
> (...)
> 1) Debian will be sleeker and slimmer.
> 2) Debian will contain the most up-to-date of everything.
> 3) Debian will contain a installation procedure that doesn't need to be
> babysat;
> (...)

I think that this needs to be revisited in the context that Debian now
holds in the Free Software movement. You do not exist, if you are not in
Debian. Keeping both that and the three points above is a very hard task.

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org