Re: Question to the candidates: RC bugs fixe

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 07:17:59PM +0000, Thaddeus H. Black wrote:
> An admittedly modest technical contributor to Debian, I have not
> earned the right to complain often, so I don't.  Nevertheless, I agree
> pretty much completely with the words of Andreas Tille, Clint Adams
> and Frans Pop; and I feel strongly that Debian's foremost problems are
> cabal-oriented and social in nature.

As I'm sure you're aware, there is no cabal; there's only a bunch of
people who put in massive amounts of time and get the blame when
important stuff is delayed. And as any sysadmin will tell you, *every*
request is important.

(that's not to say there's no room for improvement, but calling them a
"cabal" is overdoing it IMHO).

> Still, there exist many, sometimes contradictory reasons to vote for
> or against a candidate; and, this year, I find a close four-way
> contest at the top of my own ballot.  My question to all candidates
> who wish to respond, to resolve the contest:
>
> Please brag about RC bugs you have fixed since sarge's release,
> excluding bugs in your own packages.

I put in at least a few hours _per day_ for Debian, and only expect to
increase that. Over the last year, I set up and have been maintaining
the box that builds the powerpc d-i dailies; have been doing maintenance
and buildd admin work of between 2 and 7 buildd machines (the number
varied because of system breakdown, mainly; some even have broken down,
were then repaired, and broke down again) for the armeb and m68k
architectures for unstable and (in the case of m68k) experimental; and I
have single-handedly started work on the debian coldfire port. I've also
worked on the d-i port to the m68k architecture (though not in the past
year).

For my own packages, I've been working with belpic's upstream to get a
reasonably working build system (there's still a lot of work to do in
that area; also, to my horror, they've switched to SCons now), have had
to take over upstream maintenance of nbd since a few years (which sucks
up a rather large amount of time, too), and have had to figure out a
bunch of problems in m68k assembly to be able to figure out what was
wrong with the emile boot sequence (which turned out to be
Debian-specific).

Currently, I have 15 bugs open (in all) against my packages; this is a
record (I've never had as much open bugs), and this is happening now
mostly because I do not consider any of them important enough to warrant
a release exception at this time, and because some of them require me to
learn new stuff (which will happen eventually, but not just yet).

Apart from that, I can only "brag" about having tested the fix for #376812
(grave bug on libglide2 which required hardware that the maintainer did
not have, and which I did) and about having provided fixes for #255457
(Large File Support for perforate; wishlist), and some other similar
ones. Working on other people's bugs just isn't something I spend a lot
of time on; I take great pride in being a good maintainer of my _own_
stuff, and I do not feel that it is, or should be, a requirement of any
Debian Developer to work on stuff that is not their responsability.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22