Re: Question for Gustavo and Sam: bringing back the fun

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> "Margarita Manterola" <margamanterola@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 1) flamewars: the constant bickering on mailing list is depressing, it
> > takes away a lot of time, and it gives the whole project a bad
> > reputation.
>
> I don't know what's worse, the bickering itself or the bickering about
> the bickering.
>
> Flamewars are actually fun, when done properly.

Mailing list are a tool. We want constructive and rewarding discussions.
Then we have fun because we have achieved something.

"Having fun in a flamewar" is not the kind of fun we need to seek.
Because there's no reward for the project, only some self-satisfaction of
a few individuals.

"People need to learn to put Debian’s interests before their owns."
That was from you on http://blog.technologeek.org/2006/03/01/20

It would be so great if you could also apply it in the context
of mailing list discussions.

Raphaël Hertzog