Re: Question to candidates: position on non-free?

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007, Kari Pahula wrote:
> I would like to hear what the candidates think about the non-free
> section.  Is having it hosted on Debian's infrastructure still worth
> it?

   It was never "worth" it. It has brought disagreement with the FSF
(nothing new, I know) which as a result did not really help us weigh in
the GFDL discussions. And it's not like not providing non-free would
suddenly make the software disappear. Of course some of our users want
non-free and rely on it, but our users also want world peace and free
porn and we're not likely to provide that (because we're about free
software, you know; so non-free software is acceptable but free porn
isn't).

   Anthony suggests that we should have more well-known software in
non-free; I utterly disagree. I wonder how his suggestion of having
vmplayer would help either our users or free software, since we have kvm
and qemu which are far more featured. The only thing that we may have
more of in non-free is software that does not have free equivalents. The
rest we should have less.

   By far the most used non-free software we distribute is compression
software (lha, rar, unrar), Java (soon to go) and 3D drivers (ATI and
NVidia) but GFDL documentation is likely to take the top of the charts
soon, so until the FSF changes its mind or new documentation is written,
it's become even harder to get rid of non-free, even though providing
a URL to a tarball of the non-free documentation should be more than
enough.

> Do you expect that there would be any changes regarding its status
> during your term?

   I'll be happy the day non-free is gone. However I understand how
controversial the issue is and I do not plan to initiate any move
towards the removal of non-free as DPL.

   It would be nice though to reconsider what can go into non-free. The
times when we needed Netscape Navigator or Acrobat Reader are now far
behind. I believe it should be cleaned up, with rules such as these:

  - non-free programs should come with source
  - non-free programs should be autobuilt
  - non-free software should be modifiable by Debian for integration
  - non-free software should be modifiable by Debian for security fixes

   Most of the time, if there is a security issue in our users' non-free
software, we leave them behind, not because we don't wish to do anything
but because we cannot do anything. And this is not acceptable.

> Do you think that there are going to be
> votes like http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_002 again?

   I think it is inevitable that there will be votes like this until
non-free disappears or is deeply rethought.

>      Option 1---->: Choice 1: Cease active support of non-free [3:1 majority needed]
>     / Option 2--->: Choice 2: Re-affirm support for non-free
>     |/ Option 3-->: Choice 3: Further Discussion
>     ||/
>  V: 132    sho   Samuel Hocevar
>
> Gustavo Franco wasn't a DD during this vote and Aigars Mahinov didn't
> vote. The rest of you: would you still vote like you did in 2004, if
> the issue was brought up again?

   Yes.

Regards,
--