Re: DPL candidates: what is effective?

[ First of all, apologies for the delayed response; I'm catching up
  after several days of FOSDEM-plague :-( ]

Hi MJ,

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 09:42:39AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
>I've read a few questions and answers which use the word "effective".
>I suspect there are different interpretations of effective. In
>particular, whether a delegation is still effective - because on the
>face of it, that could be a no-op in all cases.  So:
>
>- what do you mean by "effective"?

Having an effect, being useful.

>- when would you say a delegation is no longer effective?

When not enough useful work is being done.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
 English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on
 occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
 unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."  -- James D. Nicoll