Re: Questions to the candidates

Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 04:55:58PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> Unfortunately we have big cultural differences when it comes to use of the
>> money. Some people [...] feel they are some sort of second class
>> developers because they will never have that opportunity to earn money
>> while doing Debian stuff.
>
>   Hey, that's not really a cultural difference here. If you really
> already know for sure some people won't never ever get paid, how could
> they feel otherwise?
>
>   And I'm curious, which "kind" of developer will never get paid?

For example, I'm a "kind" of developer who will never get paid:  I have
a day job that doesn't have anything to do with Debian, or even Linux or
so.  I am employed, not a freelancer.  In the future, I won't even be
able to read Debian mail at work.

Therefore I will never be able to devote as much time to Debian as those
who have the opportunity to integrate it into their work more or less.

I don't feel bad about this, but it's a fact.  And of course I will
never be able to be paid by the project itself because of that, but that
doesn't make me feel bad - neither about not being paid by the project
nor about not being paid for computer work at all.

So, personally I don't have any strong feelings against funding DDs, by
whichever means.  I have strong feelings, though, against dunc-tank and
our current DPL's behavior in that field.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)