Re: BREAKING NEWS: Debian developers aren't trusted

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 07:35:49PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 10:15:51AM +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> > > Considering any DD has the ability to introduce any kind of malware
> > > and/or kill (almost) any debian.org server, yes, a little bit of trust
> > > would be a minimum.
> > There are different levels of trusting. One can think that no DD
> > would introduce malware in the archive and anyway could think also that some
> > developers are not good for certain tasks because of attitude/lack of
> > skills/lack of time/whatever.
>
> Or simply because they don't accept/respect/understand the goals other
> people are trying to achieve.
>
> There's no need for everyone to do that for all goals Debian developers
> have, but if you're going to do things that interfere with others' goals
> for the distro, you do have to take some care. If you're not willing to
> take that degree of care, or find some way of achieving your goals that
> doesn't affect other folks work, you'll find you won't be trusted. That
> shouldn't be surprising.

This is a two-way street though. Aurelien was trying to solve a problem
he perceived to exist with the arm port. His solution has been rejected,
but is the original problem being addressed?

Frankly I think ftp-master abused his dual roles (ftp-master and arm
buildd admin) in this incident; any one else's actions would have been
subject to peer review.

Hamish