Re: Constitutional Amendment GR: Handling assets for the project

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 10:44:29AM +0300, Kalle Kivimaa wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > Personally, I think that's the minimum we ought to expect, but IME it's
> > also a hell of a lot more work than it should be, and it'll require a
> > chunk of effort from someone to actually make it happen.
> This depends on two factors, namely how many transactions there are in
> total in the various Debian-related accounts and how many of those are
> Debian-specific. If we are talking about a couple of hundred
> transactions, it is very doable as a volunteer work.

Yup. In theory; in practice, it depends. You could treat it as dozens
of transactions a year, if you wanted (counting all the debconf travel
reimbursements as one payment, eg). It's definitely *doable*.

But actually getting the information isn't so easy -- SPI aren't going
to send their accounts to Finland, so you need to hope that they have
time to scan and email you their statements; then multiply that by half
a dozen different organisations already, possibly with more to come;
and add in that you might be busy by the time the people you're relying
on can get you the information, at which point it starts to pile up...

I don't want to give the impression this is easy, or going to work first
time, but if you've already done book keeping you probably have an idea
of the problems already. :)

[...]
> This information is static and is a bit irrelevant from auditing point
> of view. The purpose of auditing is to make sure that the assets are
> there and that the governing body has used them wisely.

Right -- but to do that you need to know what the assets are in the first
place; while we do have that information distributed through the project,
it's not easily findable, and it's hard to get an overview.

Think of the "auditor" title as more "where it'd be good to end up" than
"what's actually possible". :)

> It is entirely
> possible that somebody replaces a server with a virtual server or
> simply renames a machine to be identical with another machine.

Sure; the latter happens -- klecker.debian.org moved from an old box
to a new one a few months ago, eg. The old machine is (hopefully) being
shipped elsewhere to (hopefully) get some use.

So -- if you're still interested, where to from here?

Cheers,
aj