Re: Democracy in Debian

On 8 Feb 2006, Lionel Elie Mamane said:

> On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 06:57:03PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On 7 Feb 2006, Lionel Elie Mamane spake thusly:
>
>>> Should the situation arise with the current constitution, the
>>> secretary can use 7.1.4 to avoid impropriety or we can still
>>> formally have the election run by the secretary, but cross-checked
>>> by other people. Just have the address foo@vote.debian.org deliver
>>> to the secretary and these other people (which can be ensured by
>>> DSA). These people can run the same procedure as the secretary and
>>> publicly cry foul if the secretary cheated in any way (other than
>>> breaking the signature algorithms in OpenPGP). This _does_ require
>>> a not too uncooperative secretary, or DSA moving to override him,
>>> I suppose.
>
>> (...)
>
>> Additionally, there are already means of doing an audit that
>> can check any results after the fact;
>
> Only if the secretary hands over the ballots. Which I don't see him
> being forced to do by constitutional rule. I'm not intimate with all
> the commas of the constitution; can the secretary make a vote
> "secret ballot" like the DPL election?

        Which only goes to show that you really do not understand how
 Debian works. Are you not aware that vote have already been audited
 before? That anyone with root on master already has access to all
 ballots? That the DPL's can ask an audot to be poerformed anyway?

        You think the Secretary hides ballots on machines not
 accessible to the DSA?

        I really think you need to familiarize yourself with the
 constitution if you want to start talking about how the secretary can
 hijack elections, and thus must be restrained.

        manoj
 irritated
--
I am a jelly donut.  I am a jelly donut.