Re: DFSG, GFDL, and position statementsd

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 20:13:36 +1100, Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> said:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 01:47:02PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>> If the 3:1 requirement is to mean anything, it must mean that
>> things which explicitly *or implicitly* modify foundation documents
>> must receive a 3:1 majority.  It certainly cannot be limited only
>> to things which explicitly modify the text.

> How can we measure "implicitly"? Anything that is not explicit is
> obviously open to interpretation. It seems that the GFDL's
> problematic clauses, other than invariant sections, don't explicitly
> violate the DFSG.

        If you try to pass a resolution which conflicts a foundation
 document without explicitly editing the foundation document, I
 suppose.

> Hence we just need to choose our official interpretation, unless you
> want to modify the text to make it explicit (one way or the other
> other).  Declaring our interpretation doesn't mean modifying the
> text, and doesn't need 3:1.

        This is true for ambiguous statements in foundation documents,
 yes. But making a resolution that changes s statement explicitly made
 in a foundation document is a horse of a different color.

        manoj
--
A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation.